Business Law and Contracts
Trusted business advisors since 2006.
Services We Provide
Meehle & Jay is dedicated to providing services tailored to the needs of your business, including but not limited to:
- Establishing sole proprietorships, partnerships, corporations, and limited liability companies (LLCs)
- Navigating regulatory compliance issues and administrative law
- Writing Bylaws, Shareholder Agreements, and Operating Agreements
- Negotiating, drafting, and reviewing contracts, licenses, commercial leases, and other agreements
- Advising on employment issues, employment policies & procedures, and employee handbooks
- Preparing letters of intent, asset purchase agreements, promissory notes, and buy/sell agreements
- Planning exit strategies for retiring business owners.
Meehle & Jay firm has guided hundreds of business owners and entrepreneurs through what often times seems to be a complex maze of legalese, boilerplate, regulations, and requirements. Let us help you, too. Our business is minding the legal details of your business so you can focus on your passion.
Protecting artists, entertainers, creatives, and makers.
ENTERTAINMENT LAW is a broad term for multiple, very distinct realms, such as fine art, music, film, literary, performance and design, to name but a few. An effective legal practitioner is familiar not only with the practicalities of working in these areas as a creative, performer, and advisor, but is also current and adept and the areas of law that are implicated: intellectual property (including copyright, trademark and right of publicity), contract, agency, defamation, and many others.
At Meehle & Jay, you can feel confident with the entertainment law services we provide because we immerse ourselves in these topics on a daily basis. We provide entertainment law services including, but not limited to:
- Licensing Agreements (such as music, photography, software, trademark, and distribution)
- Production Agreements (music, film, and television)
- Publishing Agreements (music and literary)
- Option/Purchase Agreements
- Talent and Crew Agreements
- Work-for-Hire Agreements
- Collaboration Agreements
- Band Agreements
- Management Agreements
- Agency Agreements
- Location Releases
- Rights Enforcement
The entertainment business is just that – a business. In order to succeed, you have to make sure that you have a strong team in place to protect your interests. At Meehle & Jay, that is the role we were born to play.
Immigration services for artists, entertainers, and business owners.
Coming to the United States as an artist, entertainer, or business owner brings exciting opportunities. In order to take advantage of this prosperous U.S. market, the first (and arguably the most important) step is to secure the right work visa. In this increasingly anti-immigration climate, it has become significantly more difficult, complicated and frustrating for foreign individuals to exhibit, perform, and work in the United States. The immigration laws, regulations, and policies are multifaceted and complex, and even a small mistake can have detrimental consequences on future applications. Our team is well equipped to provide legal and strategic advice to determine the appropriate visa for you.
Our office provides immigrant and non-immigrant visa services including, but not limited to:
- O-1 Visas for Artists, Entertainers & Others of Extraordinary Ability
- P-1 Visas for Athletes & Entertainers
- P-2 Visas for Reciprocal Exchange Programs
- P-3 Visas for Culturally Unique Entertainers
- B-1 Visas for Temporary Visitors for Business
- H-1B Visas for Specialty Workers
- E-2 Visas for Treaty Investors
- E-3 Visas for Australians
- L-1 Visas for Intracompany Transfers
- TN Visas for Canadians & Mexicans
- Employment-Based Green Cards
- Family-Based Green Cards
It is important for artists and entertainers, as well as their employers and/or agents, to understand the various options they may have, and any problems or issues that may arise. At Meehle & Jay, we will guide you through the entire immigration process and help you build the best case possible.
We help you keep what you’ve worked hard to create.
THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY marketplace is increasingly risky. Your intellectual property IS your business: it is your brand, your art, your work, and what sets you apart from your competitors. We help protect your trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.
- Trademarks. Your trademark is your brand. At Meehle & Jay, we help you select, obtain, maintain, protect and enforce your rights at both the state and federal levels in trademarks, service marks, trade dress and trade names. We file trademark applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the State of Florida, and we help you manage your trademark registrations so that your investment in your mark is protected as long as you use it. We also litigate and defend trademark infringement claims, trademark oppositions and cancellations when necessary. When possible, we help avoid costly litigation through prevention, including registration, work for hire and assignment agreements, takedown notices, and negotiated settlement. However, when necessary, we are prepared to litigate to protect copyrighted works or defend against charges of copyright infringement.
- Copyrights. Copyright law can be complicated and confusing. You need an attorney with specialized experience in copyrights to ensure that your work is protected. At Meehle & Jay, we help protect what you have created, including computer programs, motion pictures, visual art, sound recordings, and other literary, musical, dramatic, and artistic works. We have experience working with copyrightable material in the software, literary, music, film, and entertainment industries. We assist clients with copyright registration, licensing, rights management, and litigation.
- Trade Secrets. Sometimes the best way to keep something proprietary is to just keep it a secret. In business, that is called a “trade secret” and it is one of the most powerful forms of intellectual property. Trade secrets are not patented, because patents* are published in detail and come with an expiration date, but trade secrets remain the intellectual property of a business in perpetuity so long as they are not publicly disclosed. Meehle & Jay is experienced in drafting effective non-competition and non-disclosure agreements that prevent the unauthorized disclosure of your trade secrets, and we are prepared to defend them in court.Your business relies on your intellectual property being protected. Let us help you keep your business intellectual property safe.
*We are not patent attorneys. If we determine that you should acquire a patent for an invention, we will refer you to one of our trusted partners.
Both in the boardroom and the courtroom, Meehle & Jay has your back.
WHILE AVOIDING LITIGATION is usually the best policy for all parties, there are times when it is necessary to go to court to protect your business interests. When and if that time comes, it is important to know your legal team has the experience needed to win. We are here to zealously represent you.
The attorneys of Meehle & Jay are experienced negotiators and litigators. Our goal in litigation matters is to find the most efficient and cost-effective means to resolve your business dispute while still achieving the best possible outcome for our clients. We always prepare for the long game. We know the cost of litigation can be prohibitive. Therefore, most often, we suggest starting with negotiation and/or mediation with the hopes of achieving a resolution and avoiding the high costs of litigation. Ultimately though, our overall objective is to achieve the best possible outcome for our clients, and we will defend your business aggressively until the matter is concluded.